Everyone seems to LOVE to share photos of their food, but how many of those Instagram shares or blog photos actually look appetizing? With the wrong lighting or styling, your food photography (and page views!) can seriously suffer. To grow your blog and improve your photos, stop by these blogs to learn more. From photo editing to learning how to use your camera, this curated list of photography links can help you improve your photography skills in a hurry.
- If you’re just starting out, B. Britnell covers the basics of food photography.
- Thanks to social media, anyone can be a food photographer, but Shrimp Salad Circus gives you the low down on what it really takes to get a great shot.
- Take it from someone who knows. Visit Creme de la Crumb to learn 3 things that forever changed Tiffany’s food photography.
- Feeling Pinterest envy? Let How To: Simplify educate you on what you need to know about food photography.
- What is it that makes those simple images so clean-looking, so perfect? August Joy Studio explains.
- Get started with Food Photography 101 by Mom Advice.
Tools of the Trade
- What tools do you need to take great pics for your blog? Pizzazzerie gives you a behind-the-scenes look.
- Want to take your food photography to the next level? Click It Up a Notch has you covered.
- They used what to make “shaved ice?!” Food Photography Blog reveals the strange tools of the trade that will make all the difference in your pictures.
- Similarly, Nicolesy shows photographers, step-by-step, how to use inedible items to make those pictures perfect.
- Why do small plates matter in food photography? Simply Delicious explains this and more.
- Trying to master that glamorous pour shot? Follow this advice from Pinch of Yum.
- How can you capture steam in a picture? Edible Perspective has the answer!
- The woman behind Drizzle & Dip is a professional food stylist. Seriously. Check out her 10 tips for food photography & styling.
- Bring texture and personality to your photos with this advice from Thistlewood Farms.
- Tell a story with your food photography. Cashew Kitchen teaches you how to do it.
- Celebrate Creativity has some suggested reading on the subject.
Props & Tricks
- You probably already have a treasure trove of photography props in your own home. A Pinch of Yum shows you what you need.
- What’s For Lunch, Honey? tells you what to consider when choosing props for your photo shoot.
- Click It Up a Notch has a few creative ideas for food photography backgrounds and settings.
- Over at Frugality Gal, Jazmin’s got some great ideas on how to come up with $10 DIY backgrounds.
- Make your own wood photography boards using this tutorial at Love Grows Wild.
- Enjoy the hunt for fantastic antique props with these tips from Food Photography Blog.
- Build a distressed tabletop for only $10, thanks to Whole Lifestyle Nutrition.
- Make better blog photos using simple background hacks by Mama Miss.
Lights, Camera, Action!
- To use light in food photography properly, you have to understand it. Simply Delicious breaks it down.
- Learn about ISO, aperture and shutter speed with Playful Cooking.
- What is it about photographing the color white that is so tricky? These tips from Simone’s Kitchen should help sort things out.
- Check out these 4 tips for flawless food photography lighting thanks to Foodess.
- Pip and Ebby share videos on natural versus artificial lighting in food photography.
- Take a look at this artificial lighting tutorial, courtesy of Julie’s Eats & Treats, with a focus on Ego Lights.
- Explore rich, dramatic images using dark backgrounds over at The Brewer & The Baker.
- Katie’s Cucina shares a few top tips and tricks learned from attending the Food Blog Forum.
- Get technical about food photography lighting with this in-depth information from Click It Up a Notch.
- Edible Perspective explains the simple advice of using a black umbrella to create shadows in food photography.
A Little Bit of Everything
- Cookie + Kate shares tips for taking great food photos, troubleshooting, advice on tools and finding more resources.
- Read over a comprehensive guide to food photography at 6 Bittersweets.
- Cookin’ Canuck shares how to make images as beautiful as the dishes themselves, in no time.
- FitFluential provides 10 tips for improving your food photography.
- Dish by Dish has recommendations, tips and tricks and lots of resources for learning more about food photography.
- Sally’s Baking Addiction has learned a lot about this subject through trial and error, and is now sharing favorite tools and how to use them.
- Stupid Easy Paleo takes an in-depth look at cameras and what they can do, plus shooting locations.
- Even beginners can get on board with these basic Photoshop tips for food photography from Soupbelly.
Tips for Using Your Phone
- If all you have is a smartphone, you can still take great pics! Cotter Crunch tells you how.
Tips for Instagram
- Instagram is an option for you to share your food photography. Click It Up a Notch teaches you how to stand out.
Access Your Blog Toolkit
Download to grab your free blog toolkit.